Monday, March 12, 2018

Reflections on AFRICAST 114N



This is a picture of a creative project I took on over the weekend while reflecting on AFRICAST 114N. I was inspired to do this by a friend of mine, who made a birthday gift for me of a similar style (drawing my favorite foods, hobbies, and fictional characters in giant cardboard letters that spelled out my name).
In every letter, I tried to include visual representations of my classmate's organismal and thematic presentations. I also tried to group items chronologically, in the order of our presentations, to only some success.

In creating this, I came away with several takeaways:
-It is far easier to visualize organismal presentations rather than thematic presentations.
-Some animals are much harder to draw than others (e.g. the aardvark represented by the cartoon character Arthur instead of a more realistic looking drawing). 
-We've learned a lot over the course of this class. I had a hard time deciding how much detail I could include about different animals (also was a matter of time, to some extent). Drawing the pronking springbok was fun.
-While the drawings do a good job of showing the big picture (or bird's eye view of the class), it can't do justice to all that we've learned about animal behavior, adaptation, desertification, and the people (including sociopolitical history, cultures, etc). 
-There are so many different kinds of creatures that live in Namibia. They're so wildly different, yet manage to survive and thrive in harsh environmental conditions. The biodiversity is amazing, and really keeps me thinking about how there are so many ways of solving the same problems (dealing with the heat, arid environment). 

I really enjoyed taking this class (even though it was a requirement), and processing everything has helped me gain a new layer of appreciation for my newly acquired knowledge.

-EM

References

AFRICAST114N (everyone in this class including Forrest and Bob)

No comments:

Post a Comment