Thursday, March 22, 2018

Namibia = Nambia?

I've been reflecting a lot on how the western world thinks about Africa.  After learning about movies in Namibia and how problematic they can be due to oversimplifying and/or misrepresenting Africa, I've been thinking about how my own lack of knowledge influenced my thinking about Africa. Before this class, I thought that most all places in Africa had amazing wildlife everywhere. This was the primary characteristic I thought about, but now I think about how silly and uninformed I was to primarily characterize Namibia with that because it is so much more... Thinking about Donald Trump combining "Zambia" and "Namibia" is hilarious and outrageous,  but I think it is also at least somewhat indicative of an ignorance or lack of knowledge about Africa. I think that many people, myself included, before learning about Africa, think of Africa mostly in terms of the countries we hear about most: Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, South Africa..and then make broader claims about Africa as a whole based on a limited number of countries which is not good.   All 54 countries in Africa are as different from each other as the next, and learning about Namibia really highlighted that for me. I don't think there's anywhere in the world that is like it.  I can't believe the President of our country does not know how to pronounce Namibia, but I also can't believe how little I knew about Namibia before this class. I wish that African history were required in school so that Americans have a better understanding of Africa and its complexities and its diversity. I am really grateful to have had the opportunity to learn about Namibia in depth, and now I want to learn about other places in the world that I know very little about, so I can be more aware and work on becoming a better world citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment