Monday, March 12, 2018

Reflecting on EarthSys115N

When it comes to the idea of completing requirements, I think it's safe to say that most of us associate such things with negative connotations and the general concept of some kind of less than ideal "busywork." At Stanford, in an environment populated by students burdened by plenty of obligations (and hefty sleep deprivation), the thought of checking boxes and taking required classes has the potential to seem like an additional, unnecessary stress. However, this class has been anything but that.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I have learned in this course over the duration of the past ten weeks. I have learned fascinating ecological facts about the survival of organisms endemic to Namibia and I have learned about the colonial history of the country as well, in addition to having my interest in the region piqued by fascinating places such as Kolmanskop and the Caprivi Strip. We have covered a wonderfully wide range of topics through in-class student presentations, the visits of guest speakers, Forrest's most recent presentation, and Professor Bob Siegel's own general expertise.

What has been most valuable to me throughout this process are not necessarily the hard facts I have gained, but rather the ways in which I have been taught. I feel fortunate to have been taught by my fellow students, through their presentations and our discussions, and prompted to think deeply about what our role will be as visitors in Namibia. With all of this in mind, I aim to continue keeping an eye on Namibia in the news and conducting more research in preparation for our trip in August, but I am most looking forward to continuing to learn from and alongside my peers once we get there.

- Cecilia A. 3/12

1 comment:

  1. I also thought the format of this class was really cool--we all learn about a few subjects in a lot of depth, and I feel like I'm more inclined to pay attention to and remember more about others' presentations because they're given by different students. -Mini

    ReplyDelete