Thursday, March 22, 2018

Pre-Travel Reflections


This quarter has been quite a whirlwind, and I wanted to take a moment to reflect upon the things that I’ve learned.

For one, I think it’s totally true that the prefield isn’t necessarily designed for you to get to know ever person in the seminar super well, but I have to say that I am glad that we have gotten this opportunity to have a cursory knowledge of our companions this summer. It certainly makes me more comfortable.

One thing that I’m a little nervous about is photo-taking. We’ve addressed this at length in the class--we’re pretty split in terms of people who love photography and those who would rather not. I’m just afraid that, on the one hand if I don’t take photos, I’ll be missing out on something beautiful. On the other hand, if I do spend too much time taking photos, I’ll also be missing out on the beautiful moment in front of me. Hopefully, however, I’ll have plenty of photo-happy companions to rely on for the photos.

Fun fact: I got my typhoid vaccine today from the travel clinic. It’s 4 doses of live vaccine, supposed to be taken over 8 days (take 1 pill every other day). It seems like a really big pain, but it was cheaper than the injection (which lasts only 2 years versus 5 years for the pill). But I’m sure I’ll be glad when I don’t get typhoid.

Honestly, I’m really looking forward to traveling with this crew. It seems like we have a lot of diverse talent and interests in the group, and one of the things I enjoy most is seeing groups of different people come together to enjoy a shared and one-of-a-kind experience.



~Scarlett

No comments:

Post a Comment